Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R.Birch David R.Birch is offline

Default Gunsmith question (blackening)

Ignoramus9556 wrote:
On 2010-05-08, Ed Huntress wrote:
"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 May 2010 13:51:57 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I've done cold-rust bluing and browning with good success on a new barrel,
and on tools, but that isn't going to do it for you any more than
hot-tanking is. As Steve says, your best bet is to get one of the quick
blacking solutions from Brownells and see how good you are at doing
makeup.
d8-)
Oxpho blue works well.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...XPHO_BLUE_reg_

It sounds good. Someone else recommended it here, years ago, but I haven't
tried it. I think Iggy is looking for black though, no?

I am definitely looking for black color.

Oxpho blue can do that with repeated applications.

"Bluing" is the name of a process, not the result of that process.

David