Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Gunsmith question (blackening)

On May 8, 10:04*am, Ignoramus9556
wrote:
I have a little 20 gauge shotgun that has some rust on the barrel. It
is functional despite that, but I would like to clean it up a bit. I
would like to know what is the proper procedure. I guess I can remove
rust and even polish it a bit, but then I would somehow blacken the
barrel again. Is there anything that you would recommend for this sort
of thing. Thanks

Use ultra-fine steel wool and light oil to remove the rust(WD40 works)
and will not remove the remaining blue. DON'T SAND. Degrease
thoroughly, chlorinated brake cleaner on a clean rag works.
Brownell's Oxpho Blue can be used on a strip of rag and shoeshined on
the area. Repeated applications will deepen the color. You get a
blue-black color when done. Pour out what you think you'll need out
of the bottle into a separate container, returning used swabs,
solution or rags to the bottle will contaminate it. Degreased untra-
fine steel wool or bronze wool(better) can be used to improve the
appearance.

I have also used the .44/40 blue, it's a fast way to get a black, but
not as durable. Dicropan T-4 gives about the same finish as the Oxpho
Blue but is a little more finicky to get larger areas to blend.

Any of this stuff needs a Hazmat charge to order, haunt the local gun
shops to see what you can turn up. Some Wal-Marts have the Birchwood
Casey line, if it's what you can get, apply it as above. Just may not
wear as long. Most of the cold blues rely on chemically depositing a
layer of copper on the cleaned steel, then blackening that. Has
selenium in it, don't lick your fingers after!

Stan