Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Popcorn

George wrote:
On 5/8/2010 7:16 PM, aemeijers wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
(snip)
Popcorn at the movie theater? You must be one of those rich guys
Obama is
always talking about.

I go to maybe 2-3 movies a year, almost always a cheap matinee. It is
not a big expense for me. I usually sneak in a bag of M&Ms or something.
If I was buying for a carload of bottomless-pit rug-rats, 2-3 times a
month, I would indeed be crying. Why does the theater industry think
VHS/DVD movies sucked up so much of their business, even with an
inferior viewing experience? It wasn't just the expensive tickets to get
in- it was the total cost of the time in the building.

You are blaming the wrong folks. If it wasn't for the concession sales
they wouldn't be able to keep the lights on. The lions share by far of
your ticket price goes to the movie studios.

Yeah, I know, but from the viewpoint of the consumer, they are the same
thing, just as the car dealer and the car company are the same thing.
They both suffer for either's sins. The theater owners (and aren't a lot
of the big chains owned by the same parent companies as the studios?)
need to start throwing their weight around. Rentals/DVD sales/Cable TV
can't pay the freight for 'real' new movies- the studios NEED the
theaters, to build buzz if nothing else. If they don't get their act
together and start cooperating, it will become like pro sports, which
only rich people can now afford to attend in person. Perhaps both need
the same cure- quit paying the 'talent' so damn much, and start using
cheap unknowns if needed, to get the ticket prices down. You can only
squeeze so many golden eggs out of the goose. I won't pay over 10 bucks
to see a movie. I'll wait six months and rent it, instead.

--
aem sends...