Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small engine repair question

On Sat, 8 May 2010 13:32:10 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Cub Cade riding mower. 24 Hp Briggs & Stratton V-twin engine. 129 Hours,
6 years old.

SWMBO has been complaining that it doesn't have the power that it used to
and it kind of 'sputters'.

Put on new air filter (really needed it) and pulled the plugs. Left side
plug is sooty (black) compression is 72 p.s.i. Right side plug is normal
(light brown) but compression is only 40 p.s.i.
BTW, both plugs were very clean, i.e., not crusted or worn. Plug gap is
right on the money.

Upon buying this riding mower 6 years ago (we're new to country living) my
neighbor said "nice machine, you'll be buying one every 5 years". I hope
he's wrong.

What could be going on with this engine? Is 129 hours a lot?

I've rebuilt probably 15 car engines over the years. I've done 2
automatic transmissions. Have never tackled a 'small engine'. What do I
need to know? Do I inject a little oil, redo compression in order to
differentiate between piston ring wear vs. valves?

All directions and encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I don't
have the $2ką to go buy a new one.

Help!!

Ivan Vegvary

Okay, seems like you are all saying that compression check (V-Twin with
starter motor) is kind of meaningless. Ergo, I will start by cleaning out
the carburetors. BTW, I have never believed in the 'old gas' theory since
my small engines have always started after a winter of sitting idle. Best
example is my 5500 watt generator. Sits for two years but starts on the
first pull even though the gas is 24 months old. (I do let the carburetor
run dry when I shut down).

Now maybe I've become a believer. I will dump the old gas, clean the carbs,
change the oil, install new plugs and give it another try.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Do yourself a favor..and buy a bottle of Sta-bil gas stabilizer and dump
the proper amount in the gas tank, and run some through the carby before
shutting it down for the season.

The stuff works Great!, is used by major corporations, the military,
government agencies and a ****load of us who only use gas powered
equipment a few times a year.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

I have a number of gas welders, gennies, weed eaters, mowers, chain saws
etc etc etc..and they all get FRESH gas AND Sta-bil before shutdown.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.