Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Gunsmith question (blackening)

"Ignoramus9556" wrote in message
On 2010-05-08, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 May 2010 14:46:36 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 8 May 2010 13:51:57 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I've done cold-rust bluing and browning with good success on a new
barrel,
and on tools, but that isn't going to do it for you any more than
hot-tanking is. As Steve says, your best bet is to get one of the
quick
blacking solutions from Brownells and see how good you are at doing
makeup.
d8-)

Oxpho blue works well.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...XPHO_BLUE_reg_

It sounds good. Someone else recommended it here, years ago, but I
haven't
tried it. I think Iggy is looking for black though, no?

Oxpho Blue is an unfortunate name. The solution is a pretty blue
color. The end result on cold rolled mild steel, which is what I've
used in on, is an opaque black.

Aha. That could be useful on tools. Maybe it's what Iggy needs, after
all.

I do not know,the web page talks about "bluing"?

I think you'd have to talk to the people who have used it. Some "blues" are
pretty weird on some alloys. Try Brownell's Plum Brown cold rust solution
some time. I've used it on tools and I've gotten all kinds of colors, from
dead-flat brown to something that's almost purple.

--
Ed Huntress