Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Way OT Baling wire?

On Sat, 8 May 2010 07:15:12 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Apr 20, 4:50*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message

On 4/20/2010 4:44 PM, Larry Fisk wrote:

First of all, it is not a combine that tied it, it was a baler. Here in SE
Iowa there are a few individuals that still use wire rather than string.

Don

For you and Doug.

I appreciate both the replies.

We don't raise much wheat, oats or the like here. *Or if we do it is well
beyond my 40 year ago experiences.

Excuse my ignorance. *I thought combines stripped the seed from the harvest
and then baled the straw; an all in one process.

Do they discard the straw which is then baled by a different baler? A
regular hay baler. *That seems somewhat more labor intensive than I would
have thought modern farm machines would be.

Two of the replies are close enough to Ky for me to accept that what I
bought from the BORG was not really all than unusual. *Just something I had
I had not seem before.

Oh well the wire will come in handy for all sorts of home repairs. *-

Colbyt

Ooops, forgot.

Now that straw is being used for fuel and building panels, a change in
procedure has occurred. The combine cuts the grain as high as they
can (trying to get just the head and a very short stem), that is
followed by "swathers" that cut the standing stubble right at ground
level and lay it in a swath for the the baler.

Or the combine can dump the straw directly into a towed bailer.