Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Way OT Baling wire?

On Apr 20, 4:50*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"IGot2P" wrote in message

On 4/20/2010 4:44 PM, Larry Fisk wrote:

First of all, it is not a combine that tied it, it was a baler. Here in SE
Iowa there are a few individuals that still use wire rather than string..

Don

For you and Doug.

I appreciate both the replies.

We don't raise much wheat, oats or the like here. *Or if we do it is well
beyond my 40 year ago experiences.

Excuse my ignorance. *I thought combines stripped the seed from the harvest
and then baled the straw; an all in one process.

Do they discard the straw which is then baled by a different baler? A
regular hay baler. *That seems somewhat more labor intensive than I would
have thought modern farm machines would be.

Two of the replies are close enough to Ky for me to accept that what I
bought from the BORG was not really all than unusual. *Just something I had
I had not seem before.

Oh well the wire will come in handy for all sorts of home repairs. *-

Colbyt

Usual practice here in wheat/barley country is for the combine to cut
and thresh the grain. The straw is put out the back of the machine
into 'straw spreaders', just a couple of big whirling blades that
spread it out behind the machine. If the straw is to be baled later,
the straw spreaders may be removed to leave a swath of straw or if
they are not removed then a side delivery rake puts it into swaths for
the baler.

Plastic twine is a real problem. It doesn't deteriorate and thus lays
where you drop it for years. People who run sheep do not want to use
it as it gets in the wool and renders it unsaleable. _Most_ people
using twine tied bales are careful to retrieve the stuff and dispose
of it properly but I had a neighbor that just let it drop and lay
there. His barnyard was pretty much of a 'yellow lawn' from all the
ends stickign out of the mud. I also recently hit a piece at another
farm with my chainsaw which promptly wound up in a big, snarled ball
around the drive sprocket and in the chain. Didn't even try to clear
it until I got home.

Harry K