Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default String trimmer spool that won't keep "breaking"?

"mike" wrote in message
I have a 3 year old Troy-bilt 4 cycle gas string trimmer that takes
attachments ((either TB575SS or TB525CS--forget which and have the
manual in front of me). The string on my trimmer keeps getting stuck
inside the spool. It's a real pain to have this happen in the middle
of a job.

Is there a replacement head, spool, or trimmer attachment that's less
likely to break on me? I love the basic unit--starts fast, and I have
the blower and tiller attachments.

Thanks.

I have the same trimmer and I experienced the same problem until I got very
tired of it.

I bought the Shakespear fast loader at Lowes and changed out the heads.
This uses cut string sections. Replacing string is fast and easy. Takes
about 2 seconds to replace a broken line. Buy a spool and cut your own this
model needs a string about 1" longer than the precuts. The precuts are also
a little pricey.

Also this particular model is one of the more difficult to install the head
on and have a nice tight fit. I can write more about that if you choose to
go for it since I plan to put an article on my site when I have time to
write it. The directions that came with it were basically useless for this
model trimmer but the product is well worth the time and effort to install.
Even with the difficult install I would grade the product 4.5 Stars on a 1-5
scale. Everything I needed was in the package but I had to cut down the
brass bushing.

--
Colbyt