Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Small engine repair question

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Cub Cade riding mower. 24 Hp Briggs & Stratton V-twin engine. 129
Hours, 6 years old.

SWMBO has been complaining that it doesn't have the power that it
used to and it kind of 'sputters'.

Put on new air filter (really needed it) and pulled the plugs. Left
side plug is sooty (black) compression is 72 p.s.i. Right side plug
is normal (light brown) but compression is only 40 p.s.i.
BTW, both plugs were very clean, i.e., not crusted or worn. Plug gap
is right on the money.

Upon buying this riding mower 6 years ago (we're new to country
living) my neighbor said "nice machine, you'll be buying one every 5
years". I hope he's wrong.

What could be going on with this engine? Is 129 hours a lot?

I've rebuilt probably 15 car engines over the years. I've done 2
automatic transmissions. Have never tackled a 'small engine'. What
do I need to know? Do I inject a little oil, redo compression in
order to differentiate between piston ring wear vs. valves?

All directions and encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I
don't have the $2ką to go buy a new one.

Help!!

Ivan Vegvary

I'm wondering if the motor has one of those "easy-spin" designs - usually
a late closing intake valve to bleed pressure down at starting speeds , but
which intake charge velocity negates at higher RPM's .
And if you've built car motors , a small engine should be a piece of cake
.. Doubly so if you've done auto trannies , I won't touch one ... the one
thing on a car I won't tackle .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"