Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Square tubing T-joint

wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2010 11:22:48 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Would a complementary weld on the bottom cancel out the upward
distortion? My thinking is that if the weld on top pulls the ends in
that direction, a weld with the same settings on the bottom would
tend to pull the ends in the other direction.

Jon

Lots of "real" fabricators have been using that method for decades. It
DOES work.
Don't even need to actually lay a bead. Just heat the back-side (and
sides on a square tube) to a bright cherry red with a big hot torch,
then quench it quickly. Heat again to almost a dull cherry and let
cool slowly to anneal if it is not mild steel.

Cool, thanks Clare. I don't have anything bigger than a MAPP torch, but I
will consider a big weld on the bottom.

Jon