Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Collet closer

On Fri, 07 May 2010 18:18:57 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:06:25 -0400, Wes
wrote:

Ignoramus22564 wrote:

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

When you get the MT4.5 adaptor and a L00 nose protector you likely will get it to work.

Here is the problem. I'm using a home made drawbar set up and it works but there is no
place left for a micrometer stop for accurate turning to length.

I'd be better off with a nose mounted collet chuck if I had the money to buy a set up.
That would leave room on the bed for the micrometer stop.

I have a 6903 so we are talking about the same situation at the spindle end.

Wes

Wes, I'm lost. My micrometer stop/2" travel indicator clamp to the
ways and work against the side of the apron. They don't interfere at
all with my homemade handwheel collet closer. Got a pic?

Pete Keillor

I'll post one tomorrow. I have the 4 jaw on atm with some work chucked.

I have to go in to work early tomorrow so I'm hitting the rack right after I eat dinner.

Do you have a picture of your setup? The email address is a real one. GMail must have
some awesome spam filters! I've recieved one piece of spam in a month. Of course it
might that be no one can get to me.

Wes

Ahh.. I think DoN got it in the next post. Yeah, if you're talking
about the 5C stops, mine works because I made the draw tube in the
normal manner of 4140 (which doesn't single point thread that pretty
as I recall). Here's some old dropbox links:

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...5CComplete.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...oj-5CParts.JPG
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...j-5CCloser.txt

Here's the stop I was referring to, obviously not what you were
talking about:

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...s/CarrStop.txt
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...StopAssemb.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...rrStopDial.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...arrStopDis.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/_200...arrStopMic.jpg

I have one of those 5C stops, but have never used it. On the other
hand, I use the one pictured a fair bit.

Pete