Posted to misc.consumers.house
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default Can vinegar damage a DW heating element?

In article
fc7e6fbf-9228-4c28-a9dc-ba86180372d4@o1
4g2000yqb.googlegroups.com,
MNRebecca
wrote:

Noticed some damage to my Whirlpool Gold Silent Partner III dishwasher
this morning. Some of the white has chipped off the heating element.
There was a spoon sitting beside it on the bottom of the washer that
apparently fell out of the silverware basket sometime during/after the
last wash. Two questions:

1. Which is more likely to have damaged the heating element, the
spoon or the cup of vinegar I dump into the recessed well at the
beginning of each load (that does such a fabulous job preventing
'lime' buildup throughout the machine and keeping my glasses spotless
despite my beloved hard water)? I've never noticed heating element
damage before and I've been using the vinegar for at least a year now.

I would guess that you are using too
much vinegar too frequently, but that
shouldn't cause your problem

2. How much time do I have to fix the heating element? Is there a
setting I can use that takes it offline (so to speak), giving me
longer to fix it? I need a plumbing house call for work on the
furnace exhaust and intake pipes and it would be nice to combine the
visits, but the pipe work requires temperatures warm enough to dry
exterior caulk and we're going through a cold windy/rainy/snowy patch
in Minnesota right now.

There should be an "air dry" or
"economizer" setting that doesn't use
the heater element.

Should be easy enough to replace...OTOH,
patching the chipped off part with some
form of epoxy might make for an easy
repair

Thanks! RW