Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Why Put gravel under concrete?

On May 6, 10:38*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:52:45 -0700, "Nonny" wrote:

All the answers you got were good ones. *The gravel under a slab
permits water to even itself out and hopefully exit from under the
slab. *It makes it easier to level the underside to prevent
thin/thick areas in the slab. *The side benefit of water and
thickness control is that the slab will be more stable in a frost
situation and will not crack as readily under loading.

By the way, don't forget to use WWM. *I don't think it contributes
much strength to most slabs, but tends to hold the crack tight and
level when the inevitable happens.

I appreciate everyone's answers. *You lost me on the WWM. *What's
that? *

Thanks

Welded Wire Mesh.