Posted to rec.woodworking
DougVL DougVL is offline

Default Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

Oops! Not quite correct.
It's free for a trial period, then needs to be registered and paid for.

Doug

"DougVL" wrote in message
DeltaCad is free. I downloaded it and tried it once last winter, but it's
on a different, currently inaccessible computer just now or I'd try it
again for a minute to see how it looks.

Maybe there are some online reviews or comments about it.

Doug

"Marty" wrote in message
I have used Quick CAD (no longer available) for a years but
have started to use Sketchup. I struggled with it for a time, set it
aside, viewed the tutorials, tried it again, set it aside, and
tried it again with the idea I would learn it some how.... Then while
browsing in a book store found Skechup 7 for Dummies ($25). What an eye
opener!!! Much better then what can be found online and really has
helped understanding its use. Very clear and concise with many
illustrations.

Recommended, this time I won't set it aside.

Marty

On 4/10/2010 7:07 AM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I have always designed my projects using graph paper, ruler, pencil, and
(lots of) eraser. I have a somewhat more complicated job I want to do
now.
There is a design for an entertainment center in FWW that I want to
adapt. I
would like to take the measurements from the article, enter them on a
computer somehow, and then change the things I want. I have a friend who
uses Google Sketchup. He found it awkward to use and not that
sophisticated.
I don't want to invest the money and a lot of learning time on a CAD
program
unless I can get a recommendation on this group for a product that one
of
you likes to use. Should I stick to my paper, pencil, and eraser?

TIA.

Dick Snyder