Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Jet lathe motor HELP

All caps eventually fail due to insulation failure. If you check the ratings on available caps, it is amazingly low. Thirty years
is excellent life. The cap is only in the circuit for a short time and actual size is not very critical. If it looks like it fits,
it'll work.
Steve

"toolbreaker" wrote in message ...
On May 7, 10:51 am, Jim Stewart wrote:
toolbreaker wrote:
On May 7, 10:33 am, Tim wrote:
toolbreaker wrote:
My 13 x 40 Jet lathe motor gave up the goast. Turn it on and it
hums. It is against the wall so it is hard to see the motor but I
see capacitor gue coming out of it.

it is a 2 HP 220 VAC Capacitor start induction motor. Anyone know if
it is 1700 RPM or 3200 RPM motor?

If you can see capacitor goo then there's a good chance that all that
has happened is that you lost a capacitor, and a very slightly remoter
chance that you lost a centrifugal switch or some such and that took the
capacitor with it in time.

So why not just fix the motor?

--
Tim Wescott
Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com

I am going to rebuild it but I don't know what cap to buy. Plan is to
call the local motor rebuilder and ask for a cap for 2HP XX rpm motor.

I am betting the cap is dependent on the motor speed. I have to pull
the lath back from the wall to get to the motor and that is going to
be a chore. I would like to have the cap in my hand when I tackle the
job. It is a chinese motor.

If it's anything like the motor that was
on my Jet 10x24, it's a piece of **** and
you shouldn't waste profanities and knuckle
skin on it. Mine had a problem with the
centrifugal start switch.- Hide quoted text -

What motor was on your 10 X 24?

I know chinese motors are often junk but this one has been in survice
for almost 30 years. A good part of that in production so it gets
some slack.