Fly-by-Night CC

Default OT - Death of Shop Dog

Glenn. I'm sorry for the loss of Annie.

My family's lost two dogs this past year: first to go was Dutch, our 14
year old Australian Shepherd/Keeshond mix - time finally caught up with
him; a few months later our Catahoula Hound, Gustav Stinkly, was
undergoing emergency surgery and died on the table - just minutes from
closing him up. He was only 6 years old. The vet and all the techs were
in tears - vet even did heart massage in an attempt to bring him back.

Sometimes while walking through our bedroom, I spot something sticking
out from the other side of the bed and immediately think it's Dutch's
paw - the floor by my wife's side was where one would usually have found
him napping. Other times I could swear I had just heard the jingling of
his collar tags as he shook himself when waking.

My point in relating this is to say, they never truly leave and you'll
never forget. They become such a part of our lives that even in their
absence they are felt. Glenn, I hope you will take comfort in my and
other's retelling of our experiences. We know the pain and the emptiness
you feel. It may not feel like it, but it does get better with time.

On a happier note, a couple months after Gustav died my wife insisted we
go take a look at the county pound. A Black Lab picked us out. She's
approximately 2 years old and sweet as all get out - our 5 year old
named her Poccla (Pock-la). About a day or two after getting her, I was
in the shop working on the lathe for a few hours. Looked down and
beneath the lathe, sleeping in the mound of shavings and getting covered
with more was Poccla. I guess she felt this was home.

http://www.flybynightcoppercompany.com
http://www.easystreet.com/~onlnlowe/index.html