Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
toolbreaker toolbreaker is offline

Default Jet lathe motor HELP

On May 7, 10:33*am, Tim Wescott wrote:
toolbreaker wrote:
My 13 x 40 Jet lathe motor gave up the goast. *Turn it on and it
hums. * It is against the wall so it is hard to see the motor but I
see capacitor gue coming out of it.

it is a 2 HP 220 VAC Capacitor start induction motor. * Anyone know if
it is 1700 RPM or 3200 RPM motor?

If you can see capacitor goo then there's a good chance that all that
has happened is that you lost a capacitor, and a very slightly remoter
chance that you lost a centrifugal switch or some such and that took the
capacitor with it in time.

So why not just fix the motor?

--
Tim Wescott
Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com

I am going to rebuild it but I don't know what cap to buy. Plan is to
call the local motor rebuilder and ask for a cap for 2HP XX rpm motor.

I am betting the cap is dependent on the motor speed. I have to pull
the lath back from the wall to get to the motor and that is going to
be a chore. I would like to have the cap in my hand when I tackle the
job. It is a chinese motor.