Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (OT) Which flavour of Linux?

T i m wrote:
On Fri, 7 May 2010 12:56:05 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

These days I look at something like Ubuntu, and I just don't get on with
it - everything seems unwieldy and bloated and confusing to me (in other
words, it retains many of the faults of MS Windows). It's the wrong
choice for me, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad...

It's funny, I installed the Mint flavour of Ubuntu yesterday and
whilst it all worked fairly well it seems more confusing than Ubuntu.

Maybe it's because I'm more used to the layout of Ubuntu and when I'm
in Liniux I'm not thinking Windows / OSXand Mint seems / looks more
like Windows than Ubuntu does.

However, when it comes to connecting to stuff and making it work it
(or more probably I) don't seem to have that much luck.

Like, I've spent a couple of days trying to get a Freecom USB DTV
stick working under Ubuntu / Mint and so far have failed. It works on
the same machine under X?/Vista 'easily'. Same with my new Fuji Z53
camera. Plug it into Windows and it 'just works', Linux can't even see
it?

That's slightly non trivial.

I've got a Happauge in mine, and it does work, but only with totem-xine
... but the latest kernels did include drivers that understood it.

This was a similar experience with OSX. It generally works well
enough, if it works at all. If it doesn't my only reliable way out has
been to go out and buy expressly OSX / Linux friendly kit. Not always
possible or affordable.

Its a bit better with Linux. Sometimes a limited functionality is
achievable.

For yer typical 'youth' user Ubuntu does Facebook, general IM, plays
music and can sync with yer iPod (if not the Apple iTunes store) and
isn't typically the same risk to bad things as an unprotected Windows
machine (often unprotected because they can't be bothered to do the
updates nor pay to have it fixed when it goes belly up).

So, whilst I keep giving this Linux stuff a go (and think it's really
coming along now) it's not yet a Windows replacement for me.

It never will be if you want latest hardware plug and play. However that
card SHOULD work.

if you want to try, switch the problem to comp.os.linux.misc, and lets
see what may be done.

Or have a look here

Cheers, T i m