Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default dead B+S mower engine

On Thu, 06 May 2010 03:51:19 -0700, Hustlin' Hank wrote:

On May 5, 8:54�pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Which gap? Spark plug? Valves? Piston rings? or.... or.....

--
Christopher A. Young

The valve clearance. Over time the valve seats wear and the gap closes,
not allowing the vlave to close completely. If the vlave clearance is
less than .04, the valves MUST be removed and ground down to the proper
clearance.

Yeah, I'll check them. Visually they look good (i.e. seating evenly and
no other obvious major drama has occurred) but that's no guarantee that
they're not worn so much as to be inefficient.

I've found the allowed clearances for that engine - 0.005 to 0.007" on
the intake and 0.009 to 0.011" on the exhaust.

cheers

Jules