Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD Desktop Monitor Fading to White, then Black

On Thu, 06 May 2010 21:25:00 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I just tried to fix a Samsung Syncmaster 192N monitor. I replaced 6
assorted CapXon electrolytics but the monitor doesn't work. My ESR
meter is at home so I'll drag the pile home and report on the measured
ESR values.

Hmmm... Weird and not according to my guesswork, as usual.

Value Max ESR Measured ESR
1000uF 25v 0.10 0.08
1000uF 25v 0.10 0.07
1000uF 10v 0.10 0.12
1000uF 10v 0.10 0.08
330uF 25v 0.30 0.10
330uF 25v 0.30 0.10

Max ESR from this chart:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/2003esrchart.txt

Out of 6 caps removed and tested, only one of them is somewhat bad. No
wonder replacing the caps didn't fix the monitor. Something else is
wrong. So much for the easy fix.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D