Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD Desktop Monitor Fading to White, then Black

On Thu, 6 May 2010 17:18:36 -0700 (PDT), saber850
wrote:

Thanks. Is there a particular brand of caps which is considered the
best? From my reading, I should stay away from CapXon (which is what
the Samsung monitor uses).

Looking at my inventory, I've been using Panasonic-ECG, type A, Series
NHG, with 105C temperature ratings. For example, the Digikey part
number for 1000UF/16v is P5533-ND
http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-data/pdf/ABA0000/ABA0000CE26.pdf
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/US2010/P1643.pdf

If you want to avoid the problem entirely, search for Polymer
Capacitors, which don't have any electrolyte. Fujitsu, UCC, and Oscon
make those.
http://www.fpcap.jp/en/products/index.html

I just tried to fix a Samsung Syncmaster 192N monitor. I replaced 6
assorted CapXon electrolytics but the monitor doesn't work. My ESR
meter is at home so I'll drag the pile home and report on the measured
ESR values. A bit of Googling seems to indicate the CapXon are junk.

Mo
http://pavel.kirkovsky.com/2009/03/samsung-syncmaster-204b-repair/

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com