Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22979 Ignoramus22979 is offline

Default Square tubing T-joint

On 2010-05-07, Wild_Bill wrote:
Since welding had already been suggested several times, I thought I'd give a
suggestion that wasn't entirely welding. I wasn't suggesting that just
welding was wrong or sloppy (steel is steel, after all).

Many of us could fill the gaps with weld and have a secure, neat
looking joint. Some other time someone may want to fit a couple of
parts together and have the weld concealed.

Welding actually needs a certain minimum gap in order to provide
proper penetration, so that the weld achieves fusion for the entire
depth of the parts being welded. This is not to say that the bigger is
the gap, the better. But a certain gap is necessary for proper
fusion. If you are welding a flower pot stand, it is less important
than if you are making a trailer.