Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Air brick heat exchanger

In article , YAPH
writes
On Thu, 06 May 2010 13:40:47 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

A non-sealed-flue[1] gas boiler means there needs to ventilation in the room,
which is provided by air brick(s) (on the opposite wall to the gas voiler).
This tends to produce a howling gale of cold air in winter, especially when
the wind is blowing against the wall. Is there any kind of heat exchanger
that would attempt to recover some of this heat without impeding air flow
too much?

[1] I don't know the exact term, but it's the type of gas appliance which
operates like an open fire, in that the oxygen comes from the room, rather
than outside, but the combustion gases go up the flue.

Open flue or conventional flue.

Often abbreviated to CF when looking for details on boiler models with
multiple flue options

I wonder if there isn't some wobble room here to provide a ventilated
cabinet for the boiler to separate it from the room?

I am thinking of ducted ventilation to the outside or ventilation from
underfloor (although I believe that ventilation (area) requirements are
higher from such sources). Likely extras might be high level ventilation
requirements (to the room) from a cabinet to release boiler heat, maybe
low level too but arguably that is being provided by the external
source.

All this dependant on current regs and the manufacturer's requirements
in the installation instructions and of course the o/ps ability to
accommodate such a construction without it looking like a dog's dinner.
--
fred