Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Grant[_5_] Grant[_5_] is offline

Default LCD monitor: shimmering pixels one corner??

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:06:46 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:52:17 +1000, Grant wrote:

Hi there,

I'm repairing a CTX S760A LCD monitor, replaced all the caps in the switching
regulator section as they were bulging. That got the monitor going for more
than a second :-)

Now the LCD works fine, apart from an odd shimmering pixel effect in top
right hand corner after the thing warms up for a few minutes.

If you could identify what was responsible for driving the LCD matrix
you could use some freeze spray and chill it. There might be some
additional circuitry around the panel embedded into the edge
connectors. Hard to say without a look.

I decided it was too risky to look at the chips in the ribbon cable.
Besides there's not much I could do about a problem with the ribbon
connection to the long, narrow chips, or ribbon to LCD connection,
is there?

Added some resistors around the switching regulator feedback (ubiquitous
TL431 into opto circuit) to improve the 5V and 12V rails (5V up 3.5%,
12V down 3.5%), with no effect on the display problem.

There was a trimpot up in that corner but it was a contrast setting,
also no effect on the shimmering pixels.

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/