Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default [OT] Just finished my first lathe turning

On 5/6/2010 3:19 PM, Bill wrote:

The melting point of brass is about 1700 degrees and that of steel is
about 2700 degrees (see http://www.muggyweld.com/melting.html ).

That makes your brazing problem much more delicate, I think, than the
ones I worked on. You will use a brass brazing rod of course, and I'm
sure you will practice with the material before you apply the heat to
your good one. Alot like me and my M&T joints..! : )

I'm planning to do my practice after the fact. My SO's grandson's
father-in-law has offered to let me watch while he demonstrates how it's
done.

I'll take along a second set of parts so that I can build a second
engine under his supervision.

I figure that all except one of 'em will be beautiful. ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar