Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Wire size

On May 4, 5:52*pm, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I can find 14 and 16 gauge readily but 12 gauge is harder to find.

Hey there, not to worry. For the six feet you are running to the wall
the original gauge will do (as it so far has done) fine. My gues is
that teh original cord was 14 gauge stranded and that such a
replacement would do you fine. No need to ask us, just take a section
of your old cord and strip it apart/down and count the wires and note
the colors and measure the wire gauge and be done with it.

Having said all that, LOWES and HD offer an "extension cord" intended
for an Air Conditioner that is likely 10GA (chop off the female end)
and may offer one or two that are 12GA and GOING DOWN never really
hurt anyone, right?

BTW, If you go long, you must go down!

Enjoy