Posted to alt.home.repair
Christopher Nelson Christopher Nelson is offline

Default Ceiling fan, light for low ceiling

On May 6, 1:56*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
The ceilings in our bedrooms are barely 7' 5". *In several rooms the
previous owner installed low-profile ceiling fans with lights. *The
fan blades are 7" from the ceiling at their lowest and the light
globes extend to approximately 14".

The master bedroom doesn't have a fan or a light. *Because it's a
larger room, the ceiling looks even lower than it does in the other
rooms. *I want to add a ceiling fan, we need more light, and I'd love
to create the illusion of a higher ceiling. *These are three separate
issues but if I can address more than one at the same time, that would
be great.

I really don't want a central ceiling light because I think they
create glare and I'd be looking at it while reading in bed making
reading harder than it already is. *I found a fan with an uplight
which I think would add light without creating glare (esp. diffusing
off a flat-finish white ceiling) and add to the illusion of a higher
ceiling. *However, the blades of the fan extend to 12" below the
ceiling (just 6 '5" off the floor).

I'm now thinking I'll get a ceiling-hugging fan with no light at all
and worry about light another time.

*Put in a flush mount fan only. *Install recessed lights for general
illumination.

Yeah, that's kind of where I was headed.