Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default toilet issues

"mm" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 May 2010 20:15:58 -0700, "Nonny"
wrote:

Turn off the water to the toilet and flush it. Remove the tank
lid, exposing the insides. Raise the flapper valve and either
remove it temporarily or tie it back. Pour EITHER (not both) of
can of Draino or Muriatic acid into the opening, being careful
not let it get into the tank in general. Wait an hour or two.
Let the flapper loose, or replace it. Turn the water back on,
let
the tank fill and flush it a couple times.

I don't know much about this, but what is the point of putting
it
through the tank instead of straight into the bowl?

Also, be sure to add acid to water and not add water to acid.

This used to confuse me but when you at water to acid, there is
loads
of acid and only a little water. Any reaction, even just
bubbling,
has a high concentration of acid.

The reason I suggest adding the acid to the tank drain instead of
just the bowl is that it might contact some build-up that would
otherwise rest above the water line in the toilet. It's just
pouring it in at the highest point.

I agree with your analysis of water to acid and not the other way
around. Pouring in acid takes the water pH down gradually,
eliminating sputtering from going the other way.

--
Nonny
On most days,