Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Square tubing T-joint

On Thu, 6 May 2010 11:13:49 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Dave__67 wrote:
How strong does it need to be, how clean does it need to look?

I can think of 3 ways at least to join the two without leaving a
'gap'.

Thanks Dave. It doesn't need to be too strong (it's overdesigned as it is),
and I'm not too concerned for appearance. Form follows function, and all of
that.

Pete, Ned, and Iggy, thanks guys, you all seem to be in agreement. I'm
planning on using 1/8" 7018AC for all of the welds, but to fill in the gap,
maybe I should use a 3/32" electrode? Any preference for type?

Almost all square structural tubing is ASTM A500 steel and doesn't
require a low hydrogen (xx18) rod. Unless the tube is something
exotic, or there's some code requirement, I'd use 1/8" 6010 (DC) or
6011 (AC). They're both all-position rods and easier to run than 7018.
But if the 7018 is handy...

--
Ned Simmons