Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Color changing LEDs

wrote:
I keep seeing these little solar power sidewalk lights. Last year
they were all white (blueish white). Lately I see them where they
change color. Yet, they only have one LED. How can a LED change
color? I thought the color was determined by dopeing it with a metal.
So how can they change? This has me puzzled.

How do you *know* it is "one LED"? I suspect it is a "bicolor"
LED (almost a sure bet if it has more than two leads -- still
possible even with just *two*).

You might want to notice the ranges of colors and consider
what color *mixes* could make them (e.g., red + green LEDs in
the same package will yield yellow-ish -- plus variations from
red *to* green depending on the mixing rates)