Posted to rec.woodworking

Default pre-hug doors and hardwood floors

On Wed, 5 May 2010 13:23:36 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote the following:

Question one might be "is there a better forum for this question?"

Need to understand sequencing of installation of new doors and new
hardwood floor in existing home.

I have an entry way to my home 6' x 6'. It has three walls. In one wll
I have my entry door. One one other wall I have a door to the garage
and one door to a closet. I want to add hardwood floor and all new pre-
hung doors in this area. The current linoleum floor is over cheap and
deteriorating sub floor. I want to remove it and replace the subfloor
then lay engineered 3/8" hardwood and also new prehung doors. The
entry door will come with a built in sill. Not sure about exterior
door to garage and the closet door will be typical interior pre-hung
with no sill.

I am wondering about what sequence of installation. Do I need to
remove the existing entry door, then get the floor in place and then
install the new door so the sill is over the floor.

Which looks better? Will the doors fit if you add flooring height?
Everything is determined by fit and interaction. Which is easier for
_you_?

The closet has carpet and I want to leave it that way and have the HW
stop at the centerline of the door. Should I just install the new
prehung door down to the sub floor first and then undercut it to add
in the hardwood under the front half of the jamb?

That means trimming the bottoms of all the doors, too, y'know.

I am kind of doing this area first before I try to tackle the main
part of the house and I'll have 7 more new interior bedroom and closet
doors with the HW floor stopping at the center line so I'd like to
have a good process\sequence.

Since the new floor will be the standard, I'd prefer to hang jambed
doors on top to reduce all the work.

Pull the casing and see if you have enough rough opening height to
install the doors (especially those with thresholds) on top of the new
flooring. If so, install the flooring first, then the doors. If not,
remove the thresholds and cut the jambs and doors down, then install
doors, then the floors.

Perfect excuse to buy a HF MultiFunction tool. They cut down jambs
like champs! (If need be.)

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up