Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wire size

On Wed, 5 May 2010 10:12:30 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote the following:

Keith Nuttle wrote:
After many years of use the cord on my Sears table saw is running out
of space to wrap electrical tape around it. This is the cord from the
switch not the cord from the motor to the switch. The motor is a 1
hp, 120 volt. The instruction that came with the motor says that a
20 amp fuse should be used in the circuit to which the motor is
connected. (Yes I am a pack rat)

Would a cord with 12 gauge wire be sufficient for the 6 foot
replacement cord, or would I use a smaller gauge wire.

I can find 14 and 16 gauge readily but 12 gauge is harder to find.

12 guage would indeed be sufficient. It is readily available at Home Depot,
Lowes, and all of the other suspects. Definitely not hard to find. An
alternative, if you're so inclined is to just buy a 12 ga extension cord,
cut off the female end, and wire it to your saw.

I got 90' of 12ga cable for my 240v items and wired them up to the new
outlets I installed for them. Now I can move all 3 around the shop, or
out into the driveway, with plenty of cord to spare. L6-20 twistlocks
went on the ends to keep 'em plugged. I think it cost about $75
total, including the 250' of 12/2/grounded Romex, 3 outlets, 3 plugs,
and the cable. I use the rest of the Romex to run lights into the
unfinished attic for the guys to install the HVAC. Carrier Infinity,
96% efficient, with A/C. I now have a conditioned shop. /smugness
Dual 16x20" furnace filters keep the dust out of the house and
equalize the air.

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up