Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Collet closer

On 2010-05-05, Ignoramus22564 wrote:
I won this in a liquidation auction (almost all prices sucked).

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp.../1258.jpg.html

This lot 1258 includes a coller closer.

My question is, how nard is it to adapt it to my Clausing 6913 lathe?
What is it missing, just the nose piece?

*Two* nose pieces -- the one which provides the taper for
closing the collets, and the one which protects the OD of the L-00 nose,
and provides force to pop the taper adaptor out when it is time to go
back to chucks.

Aside from this, you will probably need to make an adaptor for
the back end of the spindle which looks like a gear which has had its
teeth turned mostly off -- a series of square bottomed notches around
the OD which engage an lever which prevents the tube from rotating
relative to the spindle (unless you already have this on your lathe, I
forget what the photos showed). You will also need to make something
which that link pivots on and which is firmly mounted to the headstock
casting to give something to pivot the lever on.

And -- the most important possible problem is whether the tube
is the right length for your spindle. I took one from a 2-1/4x8 spindle
nose and moved it to a L-00 spindle (same machine, swapped spindles too)
and had to make an extension tube which screwed into the existing tube,
added about an inch to the drawtube length, and provided the proper
threads for the collet at the other end. Loctited it into the original
tube.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564