George E. Cawthon

Default How do I use my wood stove?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"CW" wrote in message

My father has a pot belly stove in his garrage. He wouldn't have put it in
if it wasn't up to code.

Detached garage may be OK. National fire code forbids the use of solid
fueled heaters in attached garages. Our local shoppers paper used to print
the code in the ad section for wood/coal stoves. I've posted the particular
section here in the past but do not recall the regulations.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I don't know about national codes, but I do know that my
father had the builder install a chimney on the outside wall
of his attached garage of his new house (at least 10 years
ago) and installed a stove according to county code. Don't
really know why it would be more dangerous than having a gas
furnace or water heater in the garage, which is standard
here, or having the wood stove in the house.