Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Wire size

On May 5, 11:48*am, Chris Friesen wrote:
On 05/05/2010 09:29 AM, wrote:

On May 5, 9:26 am, "Mike Marlow" wrote:
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Original Poster: * The motor is a Sears 1 hp motor that came with the
10" table saw when it was purchased in 1969. It is a capacitor start
motor which for the first couple of microseconds draws a quite high
current.

Ok... and this means what? *At least, to the discussion as it has progressed
at this point?

It means that the saw, when bogged down, may (or not) draw 6A. *14GA
is fine. *Though I'd still go 12GA. *;-)

You forgot about power factor and efficiency.

The power factor of an induction motor is pretty close to unity at
full load.

A good rule of thumb for most "normal" induction motors is 10A per HP at
120V.

Higher quality motors can do better, of course, but a "premium
efficiency" 1HP Baldor motor that costs $500 is still rated at 8.6A.

My bet is that a "normal" motor isn't much less. There is more in
that motor than a few (more) pounds of copper (like a name plate).

Even at 10A, there is still a 60% safety factor with 14AWG and 100%
with 12AWG. Good 'nuff.