Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default What?

On Wed, 5 May 2010 08:37:10 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

This description you used Don, sounds like a PSC peramanent split capacitor
motor.

Is that what you were referring to?

Apologies to Ed, I'd never seen the term "permanent split capacitor"
but apparently there is such a term. I looked it up. The capacitor
phase could either be a weak "helper" phase as Ed described, or it
could be an essentially equal phase contributing significant torque. I
would call the latter a capacitor-run motor. In such a motor, the
torques contributed by the two phases are in quadrature so torque
never goes thru zero which significantly reduces torque ripple and
vibration.