Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Beryl[_5_] Beryl[_5_] is offline

Default Making a plug for the broken end of an extension spring

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Tue, 04 May 2010 21:20:40 -0700, Beryl wrote:

dan and Don gave the same good explanation. I suppose...
Except the wire would need to already be a tempered springy wire before
winding.

Small commodity springs are wound from hard wire and receive a low
temperature heat treat after winding that improves stability and
fatigue life.

http://www.spring-makers-resource.net/spring-steel.html

Nice site.
http://www.spring-makers-resource.ne...n-springs.html says "In
some cases the coils could be wound so tightly that it requires an
effort just to pull them apart." which is close enough to what I wish
they'd explained.
The page also shows a *Drawbar Spring* which Bob might try if his plug
repair ever fails.