Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Default It lives! Was: Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this?

brassplyer wrote:
Replaced both the fan cap and compressor cap and it's runnin' like a
champ now. The guy at the parts place put a meter on them and said the
fan cap was on its way out and the compressor cap was kaput. The shape
on the compressor cap is different - this one is oval, the old one was
cylindrical about like an old car coil. However the ratings are the
same and it appears to work.

Apparently it doesn't matter which side the connectors get attached
to? I.e. there's not a "pos" and "neg"? It seems to be running fine.

One thing that makes me curious - I noticed that even with both the
breaker for the A/C compressor on the main panel and the exterior
breaker at the compressor turned off, when I turned on the air
handler, the compressor relay switch still activated. I thought if the
breakers are off, it interrupted the circuit to the compressor and
nothing should get to any part of the unit?

Thanks again.

The 24 volts AC is coming from the furnace which is on a separate
circuit. From the furnace, the control voltage goes to the thermostat
then back to the furnace where control voltage is sent to the condensing
unit outside. It's not magic, it's all done with wires. 8-)

TDD