Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do I have OCD? Metal related

On Tue, 04 May 2010 19:43:52 -0600, Lewis Hartswick
wrote the following:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Doing a repair on a 1 Hp Dayton electric motor (metal related),
thermally protected. Runs my cement mixer. This is the motor that got
under water for about 5 months during heavy rains in my excavation.

Motor would not run. Removed it from the cement mixer, freed up the
shaft with a pipe wrench, and then the motor ran.

Took it apart to install new bearings (BTW, only $6 ± for a pair !!) and
clean up the corroded contacts on the starter switch cut-out.

COULDN'T STOP CLEANING !! This is where the OCD might come in. After
cleaning the innards, I started chipping away at the splayed concrete on
the outside. Why? I don't know. It's not going to run any better. It
will again be splattered with concrete.

Looks wonderful and shiny, but set me back an extra 4-5 hours. Am I the
only one that does this. BTW, when working on cars I can never bolt a
part back on without thoroughly cleaning said part. Why is this.

At the age of 67 I am realizing that I have spent years of my life
'cleaning parts'.

Comments welcome.

I think you have lots of company. :-)

If we asked, I think there would be many FEWER hands raised by people
on RCM who did NOT exhibit this behavior.

Welcome to the club, Ivan.

--
It's a great life...once you weaken.
--author James Hogan