Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac
Oscar_Lives[_2_] Oscar_Lives[_2_] is offline

Default Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this?

"brassplyer" wrote in message
Here's what I've found so far. The spade connector contacts on both
the capacitors were highly corroded. I used a Dremel to grind off rust
to get a clean contact surface.

The electromagnetic contact switch works, definitely engages. I hooked
everything back up, put the top of the unit back on secured it with a
few of the screws.

The top fan works so apparently that capacitor isn't bad enough to
prevent that. As I was sitting by the unit after a few minutes I heard
a humming noise that sounded like the compressor had momentarily
kicked in but then stopped.

Further, on that circuit board there's a red LED that flashes while
the unit is running.

That red LED means it is gonna blow in just a few more seconds. Pucker your
ass and run just as fast as you can.