Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default how to snake bathtub drain?

On May 4, 8:31*pm, Tegger wrote:
Joe wrote in news:805910e7-d72e-471a-8e86-883281625d8d@
37g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

On May 3, 7:10*pm, Tegger wrote:

snip

Silly question: What about Drano or similar product? I find these to be
amazingly effective.

snip

Drano (which is mostly lye, NaOH, sodium hydroxide) is effective, but
must be used with care because of the known reaction with zinc in any
brass parts of the drain. Long exposure of brass to NaOH will leave a
copper sponge, effectively destroying the system. Best recourse, use
it and flush quickly.

Didn't know that, so thanks. All our drain pipes are ABS, so the only brass
parts are right at the tub/sink itself.

We have a couple of really tough bends/joins/I-don't-know-what in the
drains. A snake is just about impossible to get through those parts, but
Drano does the job.

--
Tegger

Also check for cleanouts on the line as the plug is probaly in the
line or the trap .