Posted to alt.home.repair
Molly Brown Molly Brown is offline

Default Gator-Bite and Distorted Copper Pipe

On May 4, 11:48*am, JM wrote:
What I've got here is copper pipe coming in as the water main from the
street and whoever did the installation bent the pipe from where it
comes up from under the foundation to save the work of soldering two
joints, and worse, he installed the main valve too close to that bend
so that the pipe is out of round where it goes into the solder joint
for the main valve--all it took was that hard frost last winter to
break it.

I have plans to replace all that copper plumbing with Pex, but to do
that I have to install a Gator-Bite Pipe fitting to make the union
between that copper water main and the new Pex. WHAT I NEED TO
KNOW . . .

Is there some kind of an insert available that can be tapped into that
3/4" copper pipe to remove the distortion so that those really
critical clearances for the Gator-Bite nipple will fit?

I know there are many professional plumbers who disapprove of Gator-
Bite fittings--but for what reason, I haven't the foggiest idea. All I
know is that I've had no trouble with them whatsoever. *The trouble I
get is from solder joints that can't stand up to a freeze, where
cemented plastic pipe can. *So I'm not looking for a lecture on the
glories of copper pipe, and the joys of torching solder joints to it.
I hate the rotten, poisonous, out-dated junk, and I want it out of my
house for good.

Any help on the specific issue will be gratefully received. Is there
such an insert (or anything that will fit that inside diameter to do
the job) and where can it be purchased?

Thank You.
JM

http://www.uniweld.com/Larger_View/70046.jpg