Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default cutting plastic

Ron wrote:
On May 3, 9:25 pm, Ron wrote:
On May 3, 9:14 pm, notbob wrote:

On 2010-05-04, wrote:
What sort of blade? Every time I've tried it (not many because it doesn't
work ;-) I either melt the edge (and gum up the blade) or it shatters (and
tries to kill me).
We used to cut a lot of plexiglass and machine it, also. Kerosene
makes a great lubricant for course tooth band or jig saws. Slow it
down the cutting speed and keep it wet.
nb

No, just use making tape as I just described.

BTW, the only time I ever used any kind of liquid on plexi, was when I
was drilling large holes through plexi. The liquid used was a tiny bit
of antifreeze mixed with water surronded by a dam and using a
professional tripod drill made for cutting holes in glass. Like this
one.

http://beckerindustries1.com/images/...l_press_lg.jpg

I used to work with a fair amount of plexi glass and I purposely melted
the holes through it by putting the drill in reverse on high speed. It
made a little mess, but nothing a few seconds with a file didn't fix.
Then when Lexan came out, well it was hard to screw it up. Too bad it
scratches so easy.