Posted to rec.woodworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Bi-fold door hardware question

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Some while back, browsing at the library, I saw an ad in Fine Woodworking
for bi-fold door hardware that allows the door to swing OUT of the opening
when in the open position. In other words, the door folds back against
one of the adjacent walls instead of hogging room within the opening.

Can't find the article, don't know which issue. Tried Google. Does
anybody have a lead on this item?

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

Okay, I guess I'm not describing this well enough. The typical bi-folds
that I have seen (closets mainly) are on a track and stack up against one
side of the opening thereby reducing the entry space.

The ad I saw in the magazine looked like the bi-folds would collapse (fold)
in half, as expected, and then swing out of the opening and onto the
adjacent wall of the main room.

In my case I have a small office with a 26 inch door. I have removed the
ordinary door years ago due to lack of swing space. However, I would like
to have privacy while, for example, my wife has company and I would like to
work on the computer. The solution I am trying to describe above would
allow me (when open) to fold the entire assembly flat against the living
room wall instead of it folded within the 26 inch entry space.

This is advertised as a newly developed item. If I remember correctly, the
assembly was a hinge thingy with a swing arm that allowed the unit to be
swung into the adjacent room and sit flat (but folded) against the wall.

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary