Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Do I have OCD? Metal related

On Tue, 4 May 2010 15:30:41 -0700, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Doing a repair on a 1 Hp Dayton electric motor (metal related), thermally
protected. Runs my cement mixer. This is the motor that got under water
for about 5 months during heavy rains in my excavation.

Motor would not run. Removed it from the cement mixer, freed up the shaft
with a pipe wrench, and then the motor ran.

Took it apart to install new bearings (BTW, only $6 ± for a pair !!) and
clean up the corroded contacts on the starter switch cut-out.

COULDN'T STOP CLEANING !! This is where the OCD might come in. After
cleaning the innards, I started chipping away at the splayed concrete on the
outside. Why? I don't know. It's not going to run any better. It will
again be splattered with concrete.

Looks wonderful and shiny, but set me back an extra 4-5 hours. Am I the
only one that does this. BTW, when working on cars I can never bolt a part
back on without thoroughly cleaning said part. Why is this.

At the age of 67 I am realizing that I have spent years of my life 'cleaning
parts'.

Comments welcome.

Hey Ivan,

At Otis, we had a saying..."You Clean Up Your Problems", and it was
quite true.

I even clean, or at least wipe off, stuff I'm gonna put in the garbage
sometimes

For instance, today I decided to move some of the twenty-odd oil-cans
I have on one bench. ( WTFDIHATF !!!) Every one I picked up, I
cleaned off with varsol, then opened up and checked inside and cleaned
that too if it needed it. Then I threw half away, and put 5 away in a
carton for later. All clean. Only took three hours. And I still
have five cans with only three kinds of oil on that bench.
Shheeeeezzzz.

So I know what you mean, only I've not only done it for a living, I've
done it three years longer than you !! Too late to change now !!!

Take care. Have fun.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

ps,,,,and taking the crap off the outside will help it run cooler.