Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Do I have OCD? Metal related

OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Doing a repair on a 1 Hp Dayton electric motor (metal related), thermally
protected. Runs my cement mixer. This is the motor that got under water
for about 5 months during heavy rains in my excavation.

Motor would not run. Removed it from the cement mixer, freed up the shaft
with a pipe wrench, and then the motor ran.

Took it apart to install new bearings (BTW, only $6 ± for a pair !!) and
clean up the corroded contacts on the starter switch cut-out.

COULDN'T STOP CLEANING !! This is where the OCD might come in. After
cleaning the innards, I started chipping away at the splayed concrete on the
outside. Why? I don't know. It's not going to run any better. It will
again be splattered with concrete.

Looks wonderful and shiny, but set me back an extra 4-5 hours. Am I the
only one that does this. BTW, when working on cars I can never bolt a part
back on without thoroughly cleaning said part. Why is this.

At the age of 67 I am realizing that I have spent years of my life 'cleaning
parts'.

Comments welcome.