Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Metal Compatability in Water.

"D.J.Carter" wrote in message
I need to make a reciprocating water pump as :-

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...ost=good-times

for a small marine engine.
Casting and machining one is out of the question, so it is piece one
together.
Steel tube outer casing with brass inner sleeve and using silver
steel rod for the piston.
Question : Would the brass sleeve and the silver steel rod be
compatible materials, corrosionally speaking, if left in contact with
fresh (not salt) water together for any length of time?

Thanking you in advance.
Regards,
DJC.

(For the American readers, "silver steel" is oil-hardening tool steel.)

I can't comment on the galvanic corrosion relationship, but silver steel is
only slightly corrosion resistant, all by itself.

--
Ed Huntress