Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl[_2_] axolotl[_2_] is offline

Default Milling gummy aluminum- advice?

On 5/4/2010 1:02 AM, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 03 May 2010 18:52:38 -0400, axolotl
wrote:

On 5/2/2010 11:22 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

The cutting fluid I usually use on aluminum is Goo-Gone. It contains
naphtha, citrus oils and D-limonene. Works a treat with aluminum,
even smells good.

Thanks,
I would be interesting to try, but in my household the best result of
opening a bottle with d-limonene would be a trip to the ER.

Then you should avoid it, as those who are allergic to peanuts should
avoid peanut butter. D-limonene is not generally regarded as a
hazardous substance.

http://www.britannica.com/bps/additi...l-Applications

The "Alternative Medicine Review" quoted doesn't have a lot of
application in this instance. d-limonene is a sensitizer, like epoxy.
The more you are exposed to it the greater chance you have of having a
reaction.
But, as my timber framing instructor used to say: "Do what you want, you
will anyway".

Kevin Gallimore