Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Is it essential to change the water filter?

"Edward" wrote in message
We have a plumbed-in water filter at work, but the person responsible
for changing the cartridge says he's stopped bothering because the
water continues to flow. He argues that, if the filter were failing
to work properly, the flow would diminish or cease. For my part I
think the water has stopped tasting very nice.

It's a Bayhall Filtamate if that helps.

Thanks

Edward

They are only £6.75 from the first place I looked FFS!
http://www.qvsdirect.com/Bayhall-Fil...-pr-20251.html

That is about the price of just one 19L bottle of water for a cooler!

As Andrew said, I would not use it, plus send a formal email to his manager,
explaining the situation, and the small cost of the new filters.

I think the whole unit needs to be cleaned out every so often too, if it is
also a cooler that has a storage tank inside.

We have water coolers in our ofices with a bottle on the top, and they are
fully sanitised every three months, but these are coolers that store water,
if yours is just a filter tap, not a cooler, then I don't think you need to
do this.

There are water test kits you can get for fish tanks that test the nitrate
level - might be worth testing the water from the old filter with that, and
then do the same with water that has not been "filtered" (but make sure you
test a mains water supply (at the same site), not water from a tank!)

Toby...