Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Set Top Box connection to a TV (Dick Smith Electronics G1185)

"Ian Jackson"
Phil Allison
"Ian Jackson"

The UK used Ch36 (tuneable +/- two or three using a small screwdriver or
trimming tool).

** Cos unlike Australia, all colour TV in the UK was on UHF.

Actually, I see that Australia used the same,

** Absolutely NOT true.

A tiny few ( AFAIK only Sony ) VCRs sold in Australia used Ch 36.

Sadly, I don't have your intimate knowledge of how TV developed in
Australia.

** Be a real good idea if you shut completely up about the subject then

- wouldn't it ????

It's something I'll try not to regret it until my dying day.

** Shame to waste the rest of your miserable living in regret

- avoid all the pain and just die now.

so I don't know why even an old 'VHF-only' type of TV should be
'specially
equipped' to receive only Ch28 (527.25MHz).

** You don't know the "why" of any damn thing.

Ch 28 ( a government sponsored channel ) was the only UHF channel on air
in
Australian capital cities for many years.

In the UK, even though we only had Ch33 (serving the London area) for a
couple of years or so, we never had TV sets capable of receiving only that
one channel.

** Australian TVs ( monochrome and colour ) all receive the whole VHF
band - was once up to 15 channels till FM broadcast stole a few.

Never heard of any TVs sold here equipped to receive only UHF ch28 *as
well* as VHF - till the OP mentioned it.

Must be an odd ball.

But not as odd a mad poms like you.

..... Phil